Saturday 14 December 2013

Home-made Shake and Bake

Just sorting out my kitchen and decided to make up some Shake 'n' Bake... it is a pantry item I always make ahead of time... it usually is slightly different each time I make it up, as it depends upon what bread or crackers I use to make the crumb base. This batch turned out exceptionally well, so I thought I would share the recipe on the blog so I have it for future reference too!   The original recipe I got was off of All Recipes, but it had 10 different spices and herbs to measure out... What I did below definitely simplifies it!
  • 4 cups fine, dry bread crumbs (or mixture of crackers or cornflakes and bread crumbs)
  • 2 cups panko bread crumbs (I had these, and wanted some extra crunch in my mix)
  • 1 heaping Tbsp Mrs Dash
  • 1 heaping Tbsp Kirkland No Salt Seasoning (I prefer this blend, there is no citrus taste like Mrs Dash)
  • 1 Tbsp Paprika
  • 1 tsp Roasted Garlic Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 1/4 cups Parmesan Cheese (approx.)
  • 1/3 cup oil


Simply mix up in a large bowl, and store in a sealed container.

To use:
1/4 scant cup of mix per piece of chicken or pork. Shake together in a plastic bag and bake @ 375 d. F. until done.
Another great use for this mix is to sprinkle on top of casseroles instead of crushed potato chips... really adds some color and great taste!
I made a large mayonnaise jar (1 1/2 quart) in about 15 minutes.  I like doing this so much I printed the recipe and stuck it to the jar... Enjoy, this staple - it is so cheap to make compared to the store bought, and you can customize it to suit your taste too!

No comments:

Post a Comment