Saturday 25 February 2012

Of Plants & Pearls

 

Its cold and windy here today. The good thing about it, is that the sun is shining, and the lawn will dry out finally!  I have a week’s vacation coming up starting tomorrow morning, and will be out in the yard doing some major work while the sun shines! I have to rebuild my green house, move one garden shed, do a dump run (LOL) and get some mulch and manure for my garden. I’ll be sure to post my progress along the way!

Today has been a good day to finish off some of the planting I’m doing inside…

News on my previous post: Can you believe it! Under 2 days, and the Brachycome Blue Splendor is starting to sprout!

I paid $2.99 Cdn + tax, seeded 16 plugs, and still have well over 100 seeds left. Usually I buy these in individual pots for my hanging baskets, at 75¢ a pop. What a savings! This is the first time I’ve grown them, so I hope they do well!

DSC00840

Things I did last night and this morning:

Now that my Aerogardens are full, I’ve seeded my windowsill planters using a hydroponic grow tray product called “steadyGRO”. The tray pack I bought has 5 rows. I find 2 rows fits my containers perfectly. I find that this product waters well from “below”, but will probably just mist it daily until the plants are bigger.

DSC00841DSC00842

I used one tray to plant 6 Cardoon seeds, 6 Martha Washington Geranium cuttings, 4 Lemon Scented Geranium cuttings, and 2 Dragon’s Leaf Begonia cuttings. The other tray has 6 plugs of Lobelia, and 14 plugs of Alyssum (lower right photo). As you see, the Alyssum plugs I’ve pre-divided into 4’s, as I will be able to separate them and pot them up much easier that way. I did not do the Lobelia, as the seed was from 2009, and I was not sure of the germination rate.

DSC00839DSC00838

Now, all of the above was topped off with what I had for lunch!

Friends gave me 4 oysters that I cooked for lunch today…. and out of the four, I got 5 pearls!!! They are all around the same size, so I’m going to have to be very inventive on what I do with them…. I see a necklace pendant in my future! Now just to find some appropriate findings for them (or make my own!)!!!

DSC00844DSC00845

That is it for now! Hoping you enjoy your day!

Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment