Saturday 19 May 2012

Chicken results!

Some quick pictures of my stewing hen adventures LOL
3 birds went into the steam juicer, resulting in me being able to can 7 pints of chicken in broth, 7 pints of broth, and 1 quart of broth in the fridge to use this week.
DSC01086DSC01104
The last hen went into a yogurt/buttermilk/seasoned marinade overnight, and slow cooked into a nice chicken/gravy and fried rice meal.
The marinade was:
  • 2 cups yogurt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 3 salt preserved lemons, rinsed and coarsely chopped
  • 1 good teaspoon of granulated garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon of smoked garlic backdraft seasoning (or you could use a Montreal chicken blend)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
DSC01085DSC01087
After the chicken marinated overnight, I rinsed off the excess marinade, reserving the lemons. I stuffed the lemons into the body cavity, sprinkled the hen with some seasoning, and put into the roasting oven at 300 d. F. for 5 hours.  You could get a hint of lemon in the chicken, but the meat was denser than a fryer chicken, reminding me more of turkey. I will do this again!
DSC01099DSC01100

No comments:

Post a Comment