Tuesday 15 November 2011

Silent Night

Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope you’ve been enjoying all the great Christmas Cards from the Card a Day Blog! Here’s another card from my silhouette! This week’s theme is Christmas around the world… I mulled quite a bit about what to make, and ended up making a “reason for the season” card, that I hope you  like!
I have a few people on my list who like traditional cards. Whenever I think of Christmas, I think of the nativity, the calm peace you feel on a chilly winter night, and my favorite Christmas carol "Silent Night". I tried to make a card that was traditional, and made me think of those things too. Enjoy!
Card front final
Card Base... Dark Blue. 5 1/8 inch wide by 11 inches long, folded in half.
Accent on card front... Light aqua blue 3 3/4 inch wide by 5 1/2 inch tall, embossed with Cuttlebug's snowflake folder.
Card front embellishment... sized approximately 4 3/4 inches.Silhouette store traditional doily, embellished with a circular "word art" - Silent Night's chorus. Also an inner nativity silhouette.
Starry background is actually a small piece of Mylar giftwrap. It would also look great if you did iris folding in gold, blue and red-orange papers to make the night sky in the nativity background.
Here’s what the screen looked like on Studio, when I was making the card front:
card front screen capture
The bottom edges of the card were rounded with a 1/2 inch round corner punch.
Font used for the "Silent Night" circle phrase - front of card - Annie BTN
Font used for the inside sentiment - LD Stock
The inside phrase was printed on plain paper, and taped to the inside of the card, and trimmed to match the card shape.
sentiment
If you don’t have a cutter, you can always do a basic print of the nativity and circular word art – hand cut out the area you want to have mylar showing through, and put it on a small paper doily for the same effect.
nativity
This project went together so smoothly, that I’m thinking of doing just the front embellishments and making a few paper ornaments out of them. The mylar I used is transparent, so it would look very pretty on my tree!
Make sure to visit the Card a Day Blog tomorrow, when you’ll be treated out to a creation from Cindy Foster!
Also, don’t forget to also join the fun at the challenge page of the Card a Day Blog! You won’t win if you don’t enter! We love being inspired by you too!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice card! Had to pop over to your blog to see what the center part was...genius using mylar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WONDERFUL CARD SHELLY!
    I am glad to see a traditional card "Reason for the Season" I to think that was genius using the mylar! I am envious! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete