Thursday 8 September 2011

What a Hoot!

I’m so excited to be a designer for the Card a Day Blog! This is a place to go daily to be inspired for making cards! This is also my first blog entry of my card making craft. Enjoy!
The theme this week is OWLS.  I've got to tell you, that I have never designed anything with owls in it, so I'm right on my creative edge.  I wanted to make a thank you card that reflected that I gave a hoot! Everything in this card except the insert and card base is recycled bits of handcrafted art paper I bought in a baggie from a paper shop I visited. 
I started with a sketch of an owl I wanted to make, and assembled the papers I wanted to use.
DSC00446DSC00447
Basically, the sketch is a pattern. I layered two colors of paper, black and brown, and started cutting. First the basic shape, then the next inside shape on another set of layered paper, and continue until you have the owl pieces cut. Then simply paste together. Below is what the owls looked like before I pasted them together.
DSC00448
I cut the card base out of a nice heavy burnt orange colored cardstock. The dimensions are 6 inches high by 11 1/4 inch wide.  I used my Score Pal to score it at the 5 1/4 inch mark.  The folded card’s back is 6 inches square, leaving a 3/4 inch space to make my card title.  I basically designed an insert to paste into the inside of the card:
hoot
Assemble the card pieces together.
DSC00449
Tape the card insert to the inside of the card, so the phrase shows when the card is closed.
DSC00459
Glue or tape the remaining pieces on the front of the card. Two owls, and lattice, and a flower that was inside a piece of paper.  I also drew the “eyes” irises on the owls as a finishing touch.

Voila!
DSC00462DSC00464
Enjoy! It really was a hoot making this card too!

4 comments:

  1. Shelley, I love your card. Owls are not my usual thing either so I can definitely relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on your card, Shelly. Your owls look so cute together. Sometimes it's kind of nice to go outside our usual element. We just might end up surprising ourselves. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Shelly! Love how you put the phrase on the side. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card!! Love your tutorial and the sentiment on the side of the card. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete