Saturday 16 July 2011

Pork Loin and Sweet Potatoes

I received the following recipe from Allison. We both look at recipes for inspiration, and while this recipe looked good, I had to tweak it for my families preferences. I did it with my stovetop pressure cooker.
The original recipe, snipped from a magazine:
pork recipes
I followed the recipe amounts, but increased the amount of sweet potato, and accidently left out the onion and garlic! I’m still happy with the way it turned out though.
I had two nice pieces of pork loin that I browned in some oil in the pressure cooker. I let them rest while I prepared the rest of the ingredients.
DSC00288  DSC00287 DSC00290 DSC00292 DSC00294 DSC00297
I peeled and sliced 2 large sweet potatoes in 1/4 inch slices. 
Seasonings pictured: 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sliced and chopped candied ginger, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1/4 tsp black pepper, dash of cayenne pepper and ground allspice.
I sliced the cooled, browned pork loin into approximately 1 1/2 inch chunks, and put them back into the pressure cooker.
Put the sliced sweet potatoes on top, and poured the seasonings mixed with 1/2 cup water over it all.
Closed the pressure cooker and brought it up to pressure for 5 minutes, and did a quick release.
If I do this again, I will definitely cube the pork and slice the sweet potatoes in 1/2 inch slices.  I’m not sure that the onion would add much to this dish, but will add the garlic and some more cayenne pepper to the mixed spices.
I served the pork and sweet potatoes with a mixed bean and quinoa salad. Not a bad meal to have in under 30 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment